In the face of laws passed in nine states controlled by Republicans that make abortion illegal, it is now clear that Republicans and their “christian evangelical” partners in crime want to outlaw abortion nationwide. It also is clear their next target is to outlaw birth control pills — which they claim cause abortion (not true).
Simple: Society is changing.
- For decades now women have been moving into positions that traditionally were controlled by men — elected office, managers, supervisors, executives, lawyers, physicians –and are no longer content to be teachers, secretaries and housewives.
- Black people no longer are forced to sit in the back of the bus . . . both figuratively and literally.
- Homosexuals are (generally) free to live their lives as they wish.
- White people are becoming a minority in the US.
- Our economy is more and more tied to the rest of the world.
And the old white men who comprise the Republican Party, accompanied by a few biblethumping women, cannot tolerate the change. They demand that we turn back the clock.
Not only is Roe v. Wade in danger, now we find that 24 of Trump’s federal judge nominees do not support the Supreme Court decision in Brown v. Board of Education — the decision that declared school segregation unconstitutional.
So — to answer the question “Why do Republicans want to overturn Roe v. Wade?” Because they want to turn back the clock to the 1950’s or earlier. They want women in the kitchen, blacks in the back of the bus, homosexuals in the closet, Mexicans on TV as Pancho and Cisco, and Muslims back in the Middle East. They want old white men back in charge of everything.