Turkey has agreed to a five-day ceasefire in northeast Syria to allow for withdrawal of Kurdish forces, U.S. Vice President Mike Pence said on Thursday after talks with Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan.
“Today the United States and Turkey have agreed to a ceasefire in Syria,” Pence told a news conference after more than four hours of talks at the presidential palace in Ankara.
Pence had flown to Turkey to call for a halt in Turkey’s cross-border military operation, called Operation Peace Spring, under which Turkey has aimed to clear YPG Syrian Kurdish fighters from a 20 mile (32 km) deep “safe zone” along the border.
“The Turkish side will pause Operation Peace Spring in order to allow for the withdrawal of YPG forces from the safe zone for 120 hours,” Pence said.
“All military operations under Operation Peace Spring will be paused, and Operation Peace Spring will be halted entirely on completion of the withdrawal,” he said.
So — Turkey has, for years, wanted the Kurds removed from their homeland. We agreed to do it for them.
This should not surprise anyone. Trump is a coward and a crook. In the first place, Trump has business interests in Turkey — two “Trump Towers” in Istanbul. Trump has appeased Erdogan — a thug, a brutal dictator. Let’s count what Trump has done.
- Trump has given the okay to genocide.
- The Kurds — who are now fleeing for their lives — were hold over 10,000 ISIS terrorists in prison . . . all of whom are now free to do as they wish to us and to our allies (if we have any allies left).
- We have abandoned the Kurds, whom we supported for 20 years. Will anyone else ever again trust us? Of course not.
- We have turned over the Middle East to Turkey, Syria and Russia. Our influence is gone.
- Trump has demonstrated — again — that he is a fool and a coward.
Neville Chamberlain would be proud.
UPDATE: OCT 17, 4:57 PM EDST
Turkey’s foreign minister just announced that they will not honor a cease fire with the Kurds as they consider them terrorists and will continue their military operations against them until all of the Kurds have left the safe zone. I knew Turkey wouldn’t honor the cease fire but I thought they’d at least wait twenty four hours before they broke it.