The GOP has a dark reason for ensuring that Trump is never impeached: There is a deeper fear among party leaders that they will be exposed as a party that wants to destroy democratic values.
Republicans claim that everything Trump has done is unimpeachable because of a deep, dark reason: They do not want to admit that any Republican president is capable of doing anything illegal or impeachable while in office. They simply will not allow that precedent to be established.
It’s still the case that too few people understand the truth about the modern GOP.
- It is an un-American party.
- It is not interested in democracy. It is interested in power.
- It doesn’t care how it gets power.
- Twice in the last five elections, its presidential candidates have lost the popular vote. Suppose that had gone the other way around. Do you think the Electoral College would still exist? I can assure you it would not. They would have found a way to gut it. But because the un-democratic results in 2000 and 2016 happened to favor them—hey, the Electoral College is great! Whatever it takes.
So — when you hear someone on television say that Republicans’ posture is all about their fear of Trump, don’t buy it. It’s partly about that. But it’s also about this. If they were to acquiesce in the removal of a Republican president, they’d be placing democracy ahead of power. And this is one thing that we know they will not do.
Meanwhile, there’s this: There is a whole generation of Americans who do not associate the Republican Party with Lincoln, Teddy Roosevelt, or Ike Eisenhower.
Gone are the days of Lincoln and his inspiration.
Gone are the days of Theodore Roosevelt and his love of nature.
Gone are the days of Dwight Eisenhower and his warnings against the military-industrial complex.
There is a whole generation of voters who think that the GOP is the Party of George Walker Bush.
- The party who failed to defend the US against the biggest terror-attack in US-history.
- The party who fabricated evidence in order to invade Iraq for oil.
- The party who looked the other way while the US military and US intelligence committed war-crimes and ran torture-programs.
- The party whose fiscal policies caused the biggest world-wide financial crisis since the Great Depression of 1929.
There is a whole generation of voters who think that the GOP is the Party of Donald John Trump.
- The party who looked the other way when foreign forces conspired to infiltrate the US election-process.
- The party who looked the other way when the President told easily debunked lie after easily debunked lie.
- The party who abandoned traditions and norms once they got in the way of amassing power.
- The party who sabotaged the geopolitical power of the US.
- The party who turned itself into a Führer-cult and branded dissent from the establishment as betraying the Republican Party.
- The party who looked the other way when Nazis loud and proud marched in US streets.
- The party who looked the other way when the republican President was found guilty of stealing from a charity.
- The party who looked the other way when the republican President abused the power of his office.